- 09:15-09:55 - Shira U'sipur (singing and storytelling for the whole family)
- 10:00-10:15 - parents settle kids
- 10:15-10:30 - schmooze and snack
- 10:30 - Adult Ed: Herb Simmens, Global Warming: What’s in store for us, and how a new vocabulary can help us understand and address it. (Thanks to the Green committee).
- 10:30-11:30 - Parents either meet with Rav Laurie or attend adult education.
- 11:30-12:15 - parents and grandparents visit classrooms
Herb Simmens, an urban planner, author and environmental activist, has spent his career in local and state government in New Jersey, where he served as chief smart growth planner for the state of New Jersey, worked as county administrator for Atlantic County New Jersey and ran a non-profit organization focused on higher education and climate. He also taught at Stockton University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology. Since moving to Washington area about ten years ago, he has worked on local environmental campaigns. In 2017 he helped lead a successful effort to get Montgomery County to adopt a climate emergency resolution, the first such resolution in the United States. He has degrees from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and international Affairs from Princeton and has studied at the London School of Economics. His book A Climate Vocabulary of the Future, was published in 2017.
Welcome all to our Kehila Chadasha Open House! The Kehila Open House offers a variety of ways to get to know us. Children and parents are welcome to join us and sit in on a class, schmooze with our Sunday school parents, and other community members, and get a first hand experience of the Kehila Sunday School. Classes break for snack midway through the morning and class time is divided between Hebrew and Judaics, with focus on a fun and interactive learning experience for the kids. We can't wait to meet you as well!
Download the attached flyer for information.